Moto G series is the most popular smartphones from Motorola. Moto G5 Plus is the latest smartphone from this series with improved internals and camera performance. So here is our Moto G5 Plus Review based on pros and cons.
This Moto G5 Plus Review is based on key merits and demerits. If you want to know on the specifications and features, comparison with Redmi Note 4, please refer our previous post.
Moto G5 Plus Review -Pros and Cons
Here is the list of Moto G5 Plus merits and demerits according to us.
Moto G5 Plus Pros- Reasons to buy
- Stock Android experience: One of the biggest advantage of Moto G5 Plus is near stock android experience. There is very few customisations but they are useful for most of the users. Also there is no bloatware which interns reduces the space consumed by unwanted apps.
- Good display panel: Moto G5 Plus comes with 5.2 inch IPS full HD display with around 424 pixel density. The screen has Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection. The viewing angles, colour reproduction and sunlight legibility are good. In addition to it, there is Color mode option in the display setting which lets users select between standard and vibrant colour reproduction.
- Camera: Camera is the one area where most of the Motorola smartphones struggles. Last years Moto G4 Plus had a decent camera. As a result of company continued to focus more on camera section, Moto G5 Plus delivers better results compared its predecessor.
- Good general performance: Moto G5 Plus is powered by 2GHz octa-core Snapdragon 625 SoC coupled with Adreno 506 GPU. This is the same SoC used on Redmi Note 4, Zenfone 3 etc. Our review unit came with 4GB of RAM. The day to day activities and gaming performance was excellent during our review period considering the price.
- Build quality: Moto G5 Plus is the first phone from Moto G series to feature metal build. As a result of metal build, device feels bit premium in hand.
Moto G5 Plus Cons- Reasons for not to buy
No phone is perfect. Moto G5 Plus is no exception to it. So here is the list of demerits of Moto G5 Plus.
- Late Android security patch updates: Moto G series are known for fast Android updates. But after Lenovo took over Motorola, there is a delay is security patch updates and Android updates.
- No USB-C port: The device comes with microUSB port for charging and data transfer. It would have been great, if there is a latest USB-C port.
- Average loudspeaker output: The device comes with single front firing speaker which also works as ear piece. Call quality on the device is excellent but audio via loudspeaker is average.
- Storage option: Moto G5 plus comes in two variants. One is with 3GB of RAM and another one with 4GB of RAM. 3GB RAM variant has only 16GB of internal storage and 4GB variant has 32GB of internal storage. Considering the price, internal storage is less for a 3GB variant.
- Less screen to body ratio: Moto G4 Plus had a body to screen ratio of around 71% whereas Moto G5 Plus screen to body ratio is around 67%. Due to this, though Moto G5 Plus comes with smaller screen size, overall size of the phone is not much less compared to Moto G4 Plus.