UIDAI or Unique Identification Authority of India provides many services online through its self-service portal. One such facility is change or update address in Aadhaar database. Here is the steps on how to update address on Aadhaar card online.
How to update Address on Aadhaar Card Online
As per UIDAI, address in Aadhaar card can be changed online using the OTP based process. However, it is mandatory to have mobile number registered with your Aadhaar card.
Change or Update Address in Aadhaar card using valid address proof
If you have a valid address proof, it is easier to update your address in Aadhaar card. Some of the valid address proof document as per
UIDAI are given below.
- Bank Statement/Passbook.
- Post Office Account statement/passbook.
- Ration card.
- Voter ID.
- Driving Licence.
- Government Photo ID cards/Service photo identity card issued by a PSU.
- Marriage certificate with address issued by Government.
- Upto three month old electricity, water, telephone landline, Gas connection bills, property tax receipt and Credit card statement.
To update the address,
- Go to the UIDAI self care portal.
- Login with Aadhaar.
- Click on Address update request.
- Upload the Address proof documents.
- Select BPO Service Provider and submit the request.
Any Indian resident with a registered mobile number can update address using the UIDAI’s self service portal. As password for login is sent to registered mobile number, it is mandatory to have correct mobile number updated in Aadhaar database.
Change or Update Address in Aadhaar card without address proof
For those who have moved to new city or house recently, getting a address proof is little difficult. For helping such citizens Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) is providing option to change address in Aadhaar card by giving address validation letter instead of valid address proof of residence.
In order to get address validation letter, the Aadhaar cardholder must get consent from an address lender or verifier who would allow their Aadhaar registered address to be used by the resident. The address verifier can be a family member, relative, friend or landlord where you are residing presently.
Once you get the consent from the address verifier, follow the steps mentioned below to updated the address in Aadhaar card without valid Address proof.
- Go to UIDAI self care portal.
- Login with your Aadhaar number.
- Generate an address validation letter.
A letter with a secret code will be sent to address verifier through post. Once it is received,
- Login once again to UIDAI self care portal.
- Provide the secret code by going to ‘proceed to update address’.
UIDAI website states that, Submission of information for update does not guarantee update of Aadhaar data. The information submitted is subjected to verification and validation.
If your request to update address in Aadhaar card is approved, then you can download the e-Aadhaar card.
Disclaimer : This post is based on information in UIDAI website. For more details, please visit UIDAI website.