Asus VivoBook S14 (S406) is a slim compact 14-inch notebook. It comes with 8th Gen Intel Core i5 processor and full HD display panel. Though it has a 14-inch display panel, the dimension of the laptop is that of the 13.3-inch notebook. Is this great laptop for the price of 60k? Let us find out in this Asus VivoBook S14 (S406) Review.
Asus VivoBook S14 (S406) Review- Pros and Cons
Asus VivoBook S14 comes in two series. One for the offline and another one for online. The offline only model VivoBook S14(S406U) is slimmer, lighter and comes only with SSD for storage. Online variants of VivoBook S14(S410UA ) are exclusive to Flipkart and comes with SSD and hard drives for storage. However, they are little thicker and heavier.
Our review device is VivoBook S406U with Gold Color.
- 8th Gen Intel Core i5-8250U (up to 3.4 GHz).
- 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD.
- Windows 10 Home Edition.
- 14 inch Full HD display.
VivoBook S14 Pros
Here are the merits of VivoBook S406U
- Slim and lightweight design: VivoBook S406U sports a stylish slim and light weight design. It looks and feels like an ultrabook. The lid is metal and scratch resistant according to Asus. The hairline finish looks on the back is impressive especially the Gold variant. Sandblasted finish in the palm rest area and surrounding looks good.
- Good Display panel: One of the main USP of the device is its display panel. It sports 14 inch full HD IPS display panel with a matte finish. The display provides good viewing angles and brightness.
- Performance: 8th Gen Intel Core i5 with 8GB RAM and SSD provides good performance for the regular usage. It may be browsing or for watching videos, there is no issues. Tried with basic video editing, it managed to perform satisfactorily. In our usage, we have not faced any heating issues.
- Good Keyboard and trackpad: VivoBook S14 comes with a full sized keyboard and keys has 1.4mm of travel. It feels good for typing. The wide trackpad performance is decent for the price tag.
VivoBook S14 Cons
Here are the few demerits of VivoBook S406U.
- The lid is not solid enough: The hinge is not strong enough to hold display firmly. Due to this if you are using the notebook while traveling, display wobbles.
- Flex in the keyboard area: There is a flex in the keyboard area when pressure is applied. Due to this, little noise comes when typing fast.
- Average battery life: With casual usage, this notebook provides 6 to 6 and a half hours of battery life. However, it could have been better.
Asus VivoBook S14 (S406) Review summary: It is a good compact ultrabook in the price tag of around 60k with few minor compromises.